If you are planning a trip close to home, or venturing abroad this vacation season, remember all the necessities like your tickets and medications, and make sure your feet are ready for the journey as well.
Here are some excellent common sense ideas on how to keep your feet happy while travelling:
Pack Appropriate Footwear
Carry shoes and other footwear for all the types of activities you will encounter on your trip:
- For airport security checks, wear shoes that slip on and off easily. Don’t forget to wear socks!
- Pack an extra pair of lightweight sneakers if your other footwear gets wet. You don’t want to be walking around with your feet marinating in bacteria and fungi.
- Flip flops are great to have on hand (or foot) for use at beaches, pools, water parks, etc…
- Be sure to wear shoes with adequate arch support and don’t forget to bring along any orthotic inserts that you normally use.
- For adventures involving hiking or backpacking, be certain to have your properly fitted hiking boots and don’t forget the all important breathable socks to wick away moisture and help prevent blisters from forming.
Pack a First Aid Kit for Feet
Be sure to include the following items:
- Bandaids of various sizes, bandages, and tape
- Moleskin pads to help prevent blisters or to isolate a blister so it doesn’t continue to rub on your shoe
- Antibiotic ointment
- Sunscreen (should be applied to your feet too)
- Nail clippers and sanding boards
- Moisturizing lotion
Despite your best efforts while away, should you unfortunately return from your trip with a foot or ankle problem or injury, see your foot doctor right away. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY, have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631-549-8637) and Briarwood, NY (929-336-4523).