While fungal toenail infections are quite common, many people who actually have this condition don’t seek treatment right away since the symptoms are not particularly painful or noticeable unless you are looking for them.
There will be only minor discoloration at first. However, a fungal toenail infection will slowly become worse as the affected nails become more and more discolored and brittle. The fungi can also emit an unpleasant smell which will often get people into their podiatrist’s office for proper treatment.
Treatment and prevention of fungal toenail infections include the following:
- Change your shoes often—Allow your footwear to air out between uses. Drying out your shoes will help kill the fungi.
- Antifungal spray and lotion—can be applied to your feet and footwear to kill the fungi.
- Keep your feet clean and dry—Wash your feet daily and wear breathable socks and footwear.
- Proper nail cutting—Always trim your toenails straight across to avoid causing ingrown toenails. An ingrown toenail can allow foot fungus to get under the nail.
- Protect your feet—In public places like locker rooms, showers, and pool areas, protect your feet with shower shoes or sandals to help avoid contacting the microbes.
For difficult fungal toenail infections, nail avulsion surgery may be necessary to completely eradicate the fungi. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY, have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors that includes Geoffrey C. Epstein, DPM, Matthew J. Tavroff, DPM, Stuart B. Leon, DPM and Robert J. Leon, DPM is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631)-549-8637 and Briarwood, NY (718)-657-8921.