Your feet contain a huge number of bones, joints, ligaments, tendons and muscles. Exercising and stretching your feet and ankles is a great way to keep them in shape and to avoid injury.
Keep your feet flexible and free of pain with some of these fun and effective methods:
- Roll a golf ball under your foot: This works great for foot cramping, arch pain relief, and plantar fasciitis pain relief. From a seated position, roll a golf ball under your foot for several minutes. You can rise up and put a little weight on your foot for a deeper effect.
- Toe flexing: While sitting down, wrap a large rubber band around your left toes. Flex your toes open and closed, holding for about five seconds each. Do ten reps. Repeat this procedure for your other foot. This is a good treatment for
- Walk on the sand: Walking barefoot on the beach is an excellent resistance exercise for strengthening the feet and ankles.
- Pick up marbles with your toes: Put a bunch of marbles on the floor and, from a seated position, pick up each of the marbles with your toes and drop them in a box. Repeat with your other foot. This a great exercise for treating hammertoes and metatarsal area pain.
- Raise, point, and curl your toes: Try these exercises for the treatment of plantar fasciitis and shin splints. While sitting, place your feet flat on the floor and raise them up onto the balls of your feet. Hold this position for 5-10 seconds. Next, rise further, and move on to the tip of your toes and hold again for five seconds or so. Now, allow your feet to come back down to a flat position and then curl your toes under and hold for about five seconds. Repeat.
If you have any questions or concerns about the health of your feet, it is important to see a foot specialist for the proper care.
The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY, have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631-549-8637) and Briarwood, NY (929-336-4523).