Pain in the arch of your foot can strike rather suddenly, or it can happen more gradually after months of strenuous sports or other exercise activities. Sometimes the actual cause of arch pain can be difficult to determine, which is why your foot care professional should be consulted for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Some of the many reasons for arch pain include:
- Structural abnormalities
- Injury from direct trauma or overuse injuries such as stress fractures
- Arthritis or other inflammatory diseases
- Sprained or strained muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Muscle rigidity
Once the actual cause of your arch pain has been determined, a variety of treatment options are available. These include:
- Properly fitted shoes for your activity—Make sure to wear the correct style of footwear for the activity. Replace worn out shoes every six months or sooner.
- Orthotic inserts—These specially designed shoe inserts will provide the necessary structure and support to properly align your feet and ankles. Correcting arch problems can also alleviate many knee, hip, and back problems that are created or worsened by poor gait mechanics.
- Modify your activities—Taking the weight and pressure off the arch is essential for proper healing to occur. Switch from high impact activities like running to lower impact swimming or cycling.
- Relieve inflammation—Application of ice to the arch for twenty minutes, several times a day, can help reduce swelling and pain. Anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen can also help.
If you are experiencing pain in your arches, the foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY, have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631-549-8637) and Briarwood, NY (929-336-4523).