A twisted ankle that causes a severe sprain is a very common occurrence. People who have had previous ankle injuries that were not properly treated are more susceptible to having future sprains. This is because repeatedly spraining your ankle and not getting proper treatment from your podiatrist causes chronic instability in the joint that may require surgery to properly repair.
So always see your foot doctor if you have a severe ankle sprain to determine if imaging studies are needed. Your doctor will check for broken bones, tendon injuries, and ligament damage. An MRI may be required to show details of any damage to the soft tissue.
Initial treatments for a sprained ankle:
- RICE—Rest, ice, compression, elevation
- Pain management—Pain relievers such as ibuprofen will also reduce swelling
- Weight removal—Taking weight off the foot with crutches or a wheelchair may be necessary
- Rigid boot—A specially-made walking boot may need to be worn for a period of weeks to limit movement of the ankle joint and promote healing
- Therapy exercises—These will help to restore strength, flexibility, stability and motion range
To help prevent foot and ankle injuries from happening, always do a proper warm up before exercise. Wear shoes that are correct for the activity and incorporate strength, flexibility and balance exercises to your routine.
If you are experiencing problems with sprained ankles, see your foot care professional to ensure that proper diagnosis and treatment are performed. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631)-549-8637 and Briarwood, NY (718)-657-8921.