The repetitive stress of regular exercise can increase the occurrence of a variety of problems with your feet and ankles including ankle sprains, plantar fasciitis, and Achilles tendonitis, to name just a few. Many of these injuries can be avoided by practicing some fairly simple steps.
Some great ways to avoid exercise injuries to your feet and ankles include:
- Wear the right shoes—This is by far the most important advice you can follow to prevent exercise injuries. A wide variety of shock-absorbing and supportive footwear is available, depending upon the activity you will be doing.
- Get fitted for orthotic inserts—Custom-made orthotic inserts can be formulated by your podiatrist with the help of a computerized gait analysis to help identify problems with pronation.
- Do stretching exercises before working out—Warm up and stretching exercises will help to get your blood flowing and limber up tendons, ligaments, and muscles.
- Start off slowly—Working out too aggressively when just starting an exercise program after a long absence is just asking for trouble. Always increase your workout gradually over a period of months to strengthen your legs, feet, and ankles to reduce the chances of causing an injury.
- Stay properly hydrated—Drinking plenty of healthy fluids throughout your routine is very important for preventing muscle cramps and other injuries.
If you have injured your foot or ankle while exercising, see your podiatrist for the proper diagnosis and treatment. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY, have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631)-549-8637 and Briarwood, NY (718)-657-8921.