Haglund’s deformity is a bony bump that forms on the back of the heel. The bony growth is a natural reaction to adverse pressure that is often caused by tight-fitting shoes like high heels.
Haglund’s deformity is a bony bump that forms on the back of the heel. Bony growth is a natural reaction to adverse pressure that is often caused by tight-fitting shoes like high heels. That’s why this condition is often referred to as the pump bump. While the deformity itself isn’t always painful, it can cause considerable rubbing against your heel, making it difficult to wear shoes. Bursitis and blisters are often the results.
5 simple treatments for Haglund’s deformity include the following:
- Wear sandals—Wear backless or soft-backed footwear that relieves the pressure to the heel area.
- Over-the-counter medications—Ibuprofen or acetaminophen can be taken to reduce pain and inflammation. These can also be applied directly to the heel in cream form.
- Icing the heel—Decrease swelling by applying an ice pack for ten minutes at a time, several times per day.
- Strength and flexibility exercises—Physical therapy exercises can increase muscle strength and flexibility.
- Custom orthotic shoe inserts—Custom orthotic inserts placed inside the shoe can isolate the heel area and relieve pressure.
The above treatments are also very effective at decreasing the bursitis that accompanies this deformity and causes much of the pain and discomfort.
In cases where the bony protrusion continues to increase, the bony bump will need to be debrided with a special tool. Other surgery may also be necessary.
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort on the back of your heel, see your podiatrist for proper treatment. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors that includes Geoffrey C. Epstein, DPM, Matthew J. Tavroff, DPM, Stuart B. Leon, DPM and Robert J. Leon, DPM is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631)-549-8637 and Briarwood, NY (718)-657-8921.