Numbness and burning in your feet and ankles can cause everyday activities like standing, exercising, and walking to become dangerous.
Numbness and burning in your feet and ankles can cause everyday activities like standing, exercising, and walking to become dangerous. This is because it can be difficult to detect an injury and you are more likely to have balance and coordination problems that could cause a fall. Patients who have diabetes need to be especially careful. Make regular visits to your foot doctor for early detection of a variety of foot and ankle problems to help lessen their severity.
6 causes of tingling and numbness in your feet and ankles include the following:
- Neuroma—These are growths around nerves and tissues usually between the third and fourth metatarsal bones. A neuroma can constrict the nerves causing numbness and tingling.
- Wearing improperly-fitted shoes—Wearing shoes that constrict your feet and interfere with blood circulation can cause numbing and tingling.
- Being sedentary—By staying seated in one position for a long time, the nerves in the legs and feet can become crimped and pressured from the lack of movement. Remember to get up and move around a few times an hour whenever you are taking long bus, train, or plane journeys.
- Peripheral neuropathy—This is one of the major complications of diabetes and involves nerve damage caused by excess blood sugar levels.
- Sprain, fracture, or other injury—Sustaining an accident or injury to the foot or ankle can result in numbness and tingling due to possible nerve damage.
- Spinal cord damage—Spinal cord damage from a slipped disc or other problem can cause foot and ankle numbness and tingling.
If you have numbness and tingling in your feet, see your foot doctor for the proper diagnosis and treatment. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631)-549-8637 and Briarwood, NY (718)-657-8921.