If your feet and ankles remain swollen constantly, you may have a serious condition, so be sure to see your foot doctor.
Excessive fluid retention and swelling in the feet and ankles can happen from being on your feet all day. For many people, just taking off your shoes and resting with your feet up will allow the swelling to subside. Even sitting for long periods of time such as during bus or plane trips can contribute to fluid retention in the feet. Try to get up and move around periodically to help avoid this. If your feet are staying swollen, it could be a sign of a more serious condition that needs attention from your podiatrist.
Many issues can cause or contribute to swelling in the feet and ankles including the following:
- Being overweight—Being severely overweight puts excess pressure on your feet and ankles, making it more likely that they will swell.
- Side effects from medications—Blood pressure medications, steroids, and hormone replacement therapy can have the side effect of causing swelling in the feet and ankles.
- Poor circulation—Vein and artery problems can decrease the blood vessels’ ability to move fluid, with a resultant swelling of the feet and ankles.
- Ankle sprains and strains—Minor swelling often happens even after just a slight twist or sprain. A severe ankle sprain or sports injury can swell the foot considerably.
- Pregnancy—Some swelling of the feet is a normal part of being pregnant.
- Systemic diseases—of the kidneys, liver, heart, and lungs can increase swelling in the feet and ankles.
If your feet and ankles remain swollen constantly, you may have a serious condition, so be sure to see your foot doctor. The foot specialists at ETL Podiatry in Briarwood and Melville, NY have unparalleled experience in treating all aspects of foot and ankle problems. Our team of doctors that includes Geoffrey C. Epstein, DPM, Matthew J. Tavroff, DPM, Stuart B. Leon, DPM and Robert J. Leon, DPM is dedicated to serving you with all of the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies. If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please feel free to contact one of our offices located in Melville, NY (631)-549-8637 and Briarwood, NY (718)-657-8921.